Travel to the far side of Lanai and drift into waters not often seen on this thrilling, three-tank charter. If your sense of adventure craves blowing bubbles off the beaten path, then this series of drift dives will quench its thirst. Experience the thrill of Maui diving!
Dive Backwall Molokini
Advanced Drift Dive With Vertical Wall
- Minors must be accompanied by an Adult
- Certified Diver Ages 15+ | Must Be a Certified Diver to Book Online
- Ride-Along Ages 15+ | Must book in conjunction with a Diver.
Sublime Vertical Dive
Molokini Backwall is one of the most dramatic dive sites in Maui County. The backside of Molokini Crater is a sheer drop off to 300 feet. This dive site can be prone to upwelling and down welling so we do not allow nitrox on this dive. This is a drift dive for more experienced divers.
While diving along the backwall of Molokini Crater you will be right along the open ocean. So there is a chance to see larger pelagic species at this site. The rare Blue Dragon Nudibranch is seen on this dive more than anywhere else in Hawaii. There is a shark cleaning station and if you’re lucky you may see Grey Reef Sharks getting their teeth cleaned by the Endemic Hawaiian Cleaner wrasse.
It is important to have recent dive experience before going on any drift dive. On all of our drift dives we require a minimum of 25 logged dives and to have been diving within the last 6 months. Drift dives are off of a live boat meaning that the boat does not tie up to a mooring and will drive away after the entire group gets in the water. The boat will return to pick up the divers at the end of the dive. This means you do not have time to do a weight check at the start of your dive so you should already know how much weight you need before diving a drift. We also require that each diver carries their own Surface Marker Buoy (SMB). If you do not already own a SMB there will be some available for purchase at check in.
Dive computer and safety sausage are required equipment on this charter. Cancellations within 48 hours of departure are non-refundable.
- Tanks and weights
- Guided dive tour
- Cold filtered water
- An individually packaged snack available between and after dives
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, normal food service has been suspended and there is no shared cooler space available. However, guests are encouraged to bring their own nonperishable lunch or snacks and reusable water bottle. No alcohol and/or glass.
- Scuba gear. (Available for rent)
- Aqualung Core regulator with Aqualung i300 dive computer @ $14
- Aqualung Pro HD weight integrated BCD @ $9.
- 2 Piece wetsuit @ $9. Snorkel set @ $9.
- Safety sausages (SMB) on advanced drift dives (available for purchase)
- Nitrox not available due to depth of this dive
- Taxes and fees
This is a drift dive for experienced divers with good buoyancy control, and must be good on air consumption. Back Wall divers are required to carry a dive computer and a safety marker sausage, and should be able to re-enter the boat with gear on.
Certified divers only (age 15+) with minimum of 25 dives logged and at least one dive with the last 6 months. Nondiver ride alongs are allowed at the same price as a diver. However, ride alongs are not recommended on this drift dive charter. Snorkeling is not offered at this time.